AIRFINANCE JOURNAL MIDDLE EAST 2020
9-11 MARCH 2020
ADGM // ABU DHABI // #afjMiddleEast
02 00 PM – 04 00 PM
What is investment in aircraft?
- What is an aircraft lease?
- Aircraft as an asset class
- Leasing’s role in financing the industry
How can investors gain exposure to investment in aircraft?
- Direct ownership
- Quoted lessors
- Aircraft funds
What are the key risks in aircraft investment?
- Asset Risk
- Credit Risk
- Country Risk
- Industry cycle
08:00 AM Morning refreshments & registration
08:55 AM Chairperson’s opening remarks
09:00 AM Opening keynote address
Howard Millar, Chief Executive Officer, SIRIUS Aviation Capital Holdings
09:30 AM How strong is the macro-economic picture for Middle Eastern aviation?
- Will air traffic increase at the rate necessary to support airline growth?
- How much of a challenge does overcapacity pose to Middle Eastern airlines and what solutions are available to them?
- What can Middle Eastern aviators do to increase confidence in the sector?
Peter Morris, Chief Economist, Flight Ascend Consultancy
10:00 AM What will Wizz Air Abu Dhabi bring to the Middle Eastern market?
- Wizz Air, a stalwart of the European LCC market has launched a new Middle Eastern initiative, Wizz Air Abu Dhabi. Hoping to grow the operation to 50 aircraft in 10 years, hear Wizz Air CEO Jozsef Varadi tell the story of this new initiative, and what impact they hope to have on Middle Eastern aviation.
Jozsef Varadi, Cheif Executive Officer, Wizz Air
10:30 AM Will the next wave of lessor consolidation begin in the Middle East?
- Aircraft lessors usually have at least one eye on fleet expansion, with M&A being a common tool for achieving this. Should we expect further activity in 2020?
- Are we likely to see entire platforms being traded or more portfolios?
- What other paths to expansion exist for lessors wishing to increase fleet size and market share?
11:10 AM Morning refreshments & networking break
11:30 AM Will Middle Eastern aviation’s fundamentals hold in the face of exogenous challenges?
- How severely has Middle Eastern traffic been impacted by coronavirus and drops in intra-Asian travel?
- Will the UAE maintain its status as a hub of Middle Eastern aviation?
- What can Middle Eastern airlines and financiers do to bolster profitability and efficiency in the aviation industry?
Lynn Guiney, Head of EMEA, Avolon
12:00 PM Will the widebody aircraft market be able to recover in 2020?
- Airbus A330 values bolster and what does the future look like for this aircraft type?
- How badly has the region been hit by various engine delivery delays and what impact has this had on airline performance?
- What are the immediate term prospects for the A350?
- What does the customer and investor base look like for the 777X?
Marian Pistik, Head of Asset Management, International Airfinance Corporation
Rob Watts, Vice President, Advisory, ACC Aviation
Moderated by: Laura Mueller, Managing Director, Airfinance Journal
12:40 PM Networking lunch
14:00 PM Financing aviation sustainably
- How are environmental concerns impacting financiers today and what can the aviation industry do to alleviate them?
- Why does aviation have a perception problem on green issues?
- What options are available for lessors and airlines who wish to bolster their ESG offering and what financial benefits can be enjoyed as a result
Sarah Aoun, Head of Structured Finance – Capital Markets, Airbus
Steve Barnett, Executive Director of Business Development, Abu Dhabi Global Market
Munawar Noorani, Managing Director & Regional Head of Aviation For EMEA & APAC, Citi
Daniel Tromans, Director of Treasury, Etihad Airways
Moderated by: Paul Briggs, Partner, Bird & Bird
14:40 PM How healthy is the market for mid-life aircraft in the Middle East?
- Residual value forecasts
What advantages can Middle Eastern airlines gain from utilising a mid-life fleet?
- How liquid are these assets in the Middle Eastern market?
Peter Walter, Director – Asset Management, IBA Group
Sasha Yusufali, Vice President Marketing, Nordic Aviation Capital
Moderated by: Edward Coughlan, Chief Commercial Officer & Deputy Chief Executive Officer, SIRIUS Aviation Capital
15:10 PM Afternoon refreshments & networking break
15:30 PM How does CFM continue to bolster their position in the Middle East?
- How significant are recent orders from Jazeera Airways & Qatar Airways?
- What are the keys to working with customers in this region and what solutions does CFM offer Middle Eastern carriers?
- New technology engines and sustainability
Christophe Poulain, Vice President Commercial Strategy, CFM/Safran Aircraft Engines
15:50 PM Financing the future – new structures in aircraft finance
- Hear Blue Swan Capital CEO, Marc-Karim Vermette, unveil what promises to be a disruptive new financial structure: the Nojoum Aviation Finance Program
Marc-Karim Vermette, Chief Executive Officer, Blue Swan Capital
16:20 The rise of Abu-Dhabi as an aviation powerhouse – ADGM
- What explains the rise of Abu-Dhabi’s prominence on the global aviation map?
- How can companies best utilise this jurisdiction and what are the key factors they need to consider?
- What role has Abu-Dhabi Global Markets played in this rise and what strategies are they planning for future growth?
Vaughan Crossley, Vice President, Legal, Etihad Airways
Shyamal Jeewoolall, Partner, Holman Fenwick Willan Middle East LLP
Joshua Koshy, Chief Financial Officer, Arum Leasing
Kieran Ryan, Chief Financial Officer, SIRIUS Aviation Capital Holdings
Farrell Sheridan, Head of Strategic Development, Abu Dhabi Global Market
17:00 PM Chairperson’s closing remarks
17:05 PM Networking reception & close of day 1
09 00 AM Morning refreshments
09 30 AM Chairperson’s opening remarks
Laura Mueller, Managing Director, Airfinance Journal
09 35 AM How can financiers maximise value in the Middle East?
- Amongst historic levels of competition both within the banking world and from lessors, how can lenders stay ahead of the curve?
- Which structures are most prominently in demand for Middle Eastern carriers & lessors?
- Have changes in the regulatory environment impacted lenders’ ability to offer competitive rates on financing?
Amelie Fourmont, Director, Aviation, Real Assets, Corporate & Investment Banking, Natixis
Sarah Pirzada Usmani, Managing Director – Head of Asset & Project Finance, First Abu Dhabi Bank
Moderated by: Oliver Clark, Editor, Airfinance Journal
10 15 AM Alternative financing sources and how they’ve impacted Middle Eastern aviation
- Which capital sources have Middle Eastern carriers & lessors traditionally used to finance deliveries?
- How big is the role of Islamic financing in the region?
- What forecast should we expect for capital markets activity in the Middle East?
Vasgen Edwards, Managing Director, Middle East & Africa, Boeing Capital Corporation
Bob Morin, Managing Director, Transaction and Business Development Leader, AFIC
10 55 AM Morning refreshments & networking break
11 30 AM Aerovista closing keynote
Senior Representative, Aerovista
12 00 Chairperson’s closing remarks
Laura Mueller, Managing Director, Airfinance Journal
12 05 Networking lunch & close of conference